Dettol is commonly used to clean cuts and wounds and can be used to disinfect household surfaces as well as freshen up linen by adding some to a rinse cycle. When cleaning skin surfaces such as cuts, Dettol should be diluted as it can be toxic, even by inhalation.Continue Reading
There are different Dettol products including surface cleaning wipes, surface cleanser sprays, hand sanitizer, hand wash, body wash and antiseptic liquid. Dettol suggest cleaning all food preparation surfaces with their products before and immediately after using raw foods including meat, fish, poultry and eggs. The company also suggests cleaning anything that may have been touched during the handling of raw foods, such as refrigerator door handles, cupboard door handles and taps, with disinfectant wipes.
Dettol can be highly toxic to many animals, but particularly cats. The toxins found in Dettol, when consumed by cats, cannot be eliminated from their body. It can be consumed by pets easily by walking over a Dettol-cleaned surface and then cleaning its paws. In Australia, it has been banned as an agent used for pest control since 2011. It is also toxic to humans when ingested or inhaled. In Britain, in 2007, a 42-year old man died of Dettol overexposure, however it is unknown whether this was through ingestion or inhalation.Learn more about Chemistry
Surgical spirits may be used to clean cuts or as a household disinfectant. Surgical spirits are solutions of ethanol that are toxic and unfit for consumption because of the addition of methanol and other ingredients.Full Answer >
The Clostridium tetani bacteria is contracted when spores come in contact with cuts or punctures, such as surgical wounds, animal bites, splinters, burns or needle injection sites, WebMD states. Spores grow in soil and are usually transferred into an open wound when people touch or receive cuts from contaminated objects, such as rusty or dirty needles. Tetanus isn't a contagion that spreads from person to person.Full Answer >
Flesh-eating bacteria enters the body through open wounds such as insect bites, cuts or skin abrasions, according to WebMD. In addition, bodily injury and surgery increase the risk for contracting a flesh-eating disease.Full Answer >
MSSA infections caused by methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteria are localized to infected cuts, scrapes or rashes, and symptoms present themselves as wounds filled with pus or fluid, explains KidsHealth. If not treated, more serious symptoms and complications can occur, including toxic shock syndrome, impetigo, cellulitis and boils.Full Answer >