Q:

Is the schefflera plant poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

The schefflera plant is mildly toxic to humans, according to the University of Connecticut Home and Garden Education Center. Eating the leaves can cause the mouth to tingle or grow numb, and it can cause vomiting. Exposure to the plant's sap can cause mild skin irritation.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The effects of eating the plant's leaves or coming into contact with its sap don't last long for humans, but the plant is toxic to dogs and cats, according to the ASPCA. Some dogs and cats that eat schefflera vomit, drool or have problems swallowing. Other side effects include intense burning around the animal's lips, mouth and tongue. The ASPCA recommends calling the animal's veterinarian as soon as possible.

Learn more about Botany

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What is a Schefflera tree?

    A: The schefflera tree is a tropical tree that is native to northern Australia. It can grow to 100 feet, but different species are also cultivated as housepla... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are lilies poisonous?

    A: Several types of lilies are poisonous to humans. Climbing, glory and checkered lilies are highly toxic, and ingestion sometimes leads to severe illness or ... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are buckeyes poisonous?

    A: The seeds, leaves and sprouts of the buckeye, or horse chestnut, are all poisonous to livestock and humans when consumed. The sprouts and seeds, which cont... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What animals eat roses?

    A: Several parts of rose plants are considered edible by many insects, birds and mammals, including humans. Although most roses are protected by thorns, the p... Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore