Ficus trees are considered toxic. However, the severity of toxicity is mild and typically cause reactions, such as itching or rash.
There are approximately 800 different varieties of Ficus plants, including trees and shrubs. They're known by other names like rubber plants and rubber fig trees. Many of these varieties are grown and kept indoors. Because of their ability to thrive indoors, Ficus trees are often found around humans and pets.
Fortunately, Ficus trees are not extremely dangerous. The milky sap in their leaves and stems is slightly toxic. If children come into contact with this sap, they may end up with a rash or itchy skin irritation. For pets, on the other hand, the sap can be more toxic. With animals having a tendency to chew or eat the leaves, they could end up with an upset stomach that causes vomiting or diarrhea. Pets may also experience skin irritation as a result of exposure to Ficus trees.