Is the Schefflera Plant Poisonous?

The schefflera plant is mildly toxic to humans, according to the University of Connecticut Home and Garden Education Center. Eating the leaves can cause the mouth to tingle or grow numb, and it can cause vomiting. Exposure to the plant’s sap can cause mild skin irritation.

The effects of eating the plant’s leaves or coming into contact with its sap don’t last long for humans, but the plant is toxic to dogs and cats, according to the ASPCA. Some dogs and cats that eat schefflera vomit, drool or have problems swallowing. Other side effects include intense burning around the animal’s lips, mouth and tongue. The ASPCA recommends calling the animal’s veterinarian as soon as possible.