What Are the Dangers of Tricalcium Phosphate?

Possible dangers of tricalcium phosphate include respiratory irritation and pneumoconiosis if inhaled, or eye irritation and digestive disturbances if ingested. Tricalcium phosphate is not considered a dangerous substance by safety regulatory standards.

If a small amount of tricalcium phosphate is inhaled, it may cause some irritation. Upon long-term and repetitive inhalation, more serious respiratory side effects such as pneumoconiosis may occur. Dangers from skin exposure are minimal. If the dust gets into the eyes, it is possible that irritation and temporary vision impairment may occur. If a small amount of tricalcium phosphate is swallowed, it can cause minimal digestive upset. If a large amount if ingested, it may cause vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramping.

If inhaled, the best treatment is exposure to fresh air or oxygen treatment. Artificial respiration may be necessary if a large amount is inhaled. For skin or eye contact, flush the skin or eyes with water. If tricalcium phosphate is ingested, rinse the mouth, but do not induce vomiting.

Tricalcium phosphate is not flammable. To be on the safe side, do not come into contact with spills. If a large-scale spill occurs, the substance should be prevented from reaching waterways, drains and sewers. Tricalcium phosphate should be stored in closed containers.