One major event that happened in the 1900s was the assassination of President William McKinley in 1901. That same year, on September 14, Theodore Roosevelt became president of the United States.
Many other events happened in the 1900s, not just in the United States, but throughout the world. The events that took place did not just pertain to the government, but advancements in technology and sports also occurred.
- The largest fair in the world opens in Paris
- A hurricane ravishes the city of Galveston, Texas, killing nearly 8,000 people
- President William McKinley wins his second term in office
- The American League of Major League Baseball is established
- The first major United States oil discovery in made in Texas
- The Carnegie Institution is established
- Cuba gains independence from the U.S.
- First World Series is held
- Wilbur and Orville Wright made the first manned air flight
- Theodore Roosevelt wins his first presidential election
- American Benjamin Holt invented the first tractor
- Roosevelt enters his second term of presidency
- Las Vegas is officially formed as a city
- The San Francisco earthquake kills nearly 500
- Congress passes the Meat Inspection Act
- Oklahoma becomes a state
- First passenger flight takes place
- William Howard Taft is elected president of the United States
- All American troops finally leave Cuba
- The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, also known as the NAACP is formed