On What Continent Is Russia Located?

Dennis Jarvis/CC-BY-SA 2.0

The country of Russia is located on two continents: Asia and Europe. Approximately 75 percent of Russia lies in Asia, while the remaining 25 percent is in Europe. The portion residing in Asia is in a region known as Siberia.

Russia is considered a “bicontinental” country, as are Turkey, Egypt, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan. However, since Asia and Europe occupy the same land mass, they are often referred to as one continent by the name of Eurasia.

Russia is the world’s largest country, covering about 6.6 million square miles and stretching almost halfway around the world. It ranks as the ninth-largest country in the world based on population.