What Type of License Do You Need to Drive a School Bus?

A commercial driver’s license is required to drive school buses. In addition to acquiring a CDL, bus drivers are typically required to complete up to three months of additional training.

Commercial driver’s licenses are required to drive special vehicles such as buses, tractor trailers and tanks. In addition to acquiring a CDL, both passenger and school bus endorsements are also required. Although they vary by state, requirements for obtaining a CDL typically include a vehicle inspection test, a basic control test and a road test. When all the requirements are met, a CDL is issued by the applicant’s state certified examiner.