What Type of Doctor Should You Visit for a Swollen Ankle?

Tetra Images/Getty Images

A person who has a swollen ankle might visit an orthopedist if he believes his problem is the result of an injury to the muscles, ligaments, bones or tendons of the ankle, according to About.com. Ankle swelling is common for individuals who stand for extended periods of time, states WebMD.

However, a swollen ankle can also be a symptom of kidney disease or congestive heart failure, according to WebMD. In the first case, the person can visit a nephrologist, a doctor who specializes in diseases and conditions of the kidney, says the American College of Physicians. If the swollen ankles are caused by heart disease, the patient can see a cardiologist.