Royal Vale bone china was made by H J Colclough, later Colclough China Ltd, originally at Vale Pottery Works. At a visit to the pottery in 1913 by King George V and Queen Mary, the company was given a royal license to make Royal Vale chinaware.
In the 1930s, the company was expanding and began producing the Royal Vale bone China that is popular with collectors today. The company became the first to produce fine bone china aimed at the mass market by selling the items individually rather than in large expensive sets. Production of all Colclough products ceased in 1997.