What Positive and Negative Effects Have Computers Had on Society?
Regarding the affects computers have had on society, there is evidence of positive effects such as instant availability of information and access to business services, and negative effects such as increased criminal activity and information dependence. Computers and technology have become a standard component in the lives of most people today and present a variety of benefits and challenges.
Computers have had a number of positive effects on society, such as:
- Improved communication
- Increased access to educational information via the Internet
- Increased productivity
- Exponential business growth
- Faster response times (for example, email, instant messaging and chat)
Computers have also had negative effects on society:
- Ties to increased obesity
- Exposure to inappropriate material via the Internet
- Increased crime (for example, identity theft and embezzlement,) and access to private information
- Potential over-dependence on technology
Computers, particularly when connected to the Internet, are a valuable resource that can be used for both positive and negative purposes.