What Is the Most Popular Food in the United States?
While there is not a single definitively favorite food in the United States, top 10 lists compiled through the years are consistently topped by hamburgers. From entrees and desserts to soft drinks, Americans have a definite love of foods heavy in fat and sugars.
The top 5 foods in the U.S. include:
- Hamburgers: Americans eat 13 billion hamburgers each year.
- Hot dogs: the average American eats more than 50 hot dogs each year.
- Pizza: 3 billion pizzas are consumed by about 94 percent of Americans each year.
- Soft drinks: most Americans consume at least one glass of soda or one soft drink each day.
- French fries: Americans consume more than 2 million tons of French fries each year, with the average consumer eating about 30 pounds of fries each year.
Other foods that are consistently listed as American favorites include chocolate chip cookies, potato chips and everything related to Thanksgiving dinner.