How Does One Make Sour Cream With Lemon Juice?
If a recipe calls for sour cream, and the cook does not have any or wishes to use a homemade alternative, it can be made with heavy or whipping cream, lemon juice and salt. This alternative is an easy substitute that can be made to the chef´s standards.
To make sour cream with lemon juice, gather the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of heavy or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, the lemon juice should be whisked into the heavy or whipping cream a bit at a time. Whisking should continue until the mixture has thickened. This can also be accomplished with a handheld or stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Once the mixture is thickened, the salt is added. More salt can be added depending on the desired taste.
- The thickness of the sour cream can be altered. If the resulting sour cream is too thick, more cream can be added to thin the mixture. If the resulting sour cream is too thin, more lemon juice can be added while whisking to thicken the mixture.
The sour cream can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.