How Do You Find Names of Actors in TV Commercials?
Whether you’re a talent scout for a commercial production company or just a curious viewer, you might’ve wondered about the actors who bring some of TV’s most recognizable characters to life. And we’re not talking about sitcom stars — we’re talking about the folks who try and sell you on car insurance and cell service providers. So, how do you find the names of actors in TV’s biggest commercials? We’ve got a few suggestions.
Top Resources for Identifying Actors in TV Commercials
The short answer? Like most other things these days, you can pretty easily find the names of actors in TV commercials through a simple online search. In particular, there are several websites and online resources that specialize in this kind of search.
Here are some of our top recommendations:
- iSpot.TV: This company is a TV advertising measurement firm, but it’s still a helpful resource, namely because you can search and browse on their database of commercials. Once you find the particular ad you have in mind, click on it to see what kind of credits are listed. Keep in mind, not every ad lists names for actors, but you can discover the title of the commercial as well as the name of the advertising agency that produced it — all of which will help you in your search attempts.
- AdsoftheWorld.com: Ads of the World is a site that has one big advantage: You can search for particular ads by country, industries and medium used, as in film, audio, digital and print. Simply search away and the site’s database will help you find an actor in any given TV spot.
- IMDb: The Internet Movie Database is more than just a way to look up that actor you kind of recognize in your latest Netflix marathon. In addition to cataloguing actors’ film and TV credits, IMDb also displays credits actors have in ads, short films and more. While commercials may not be the primary focus here, this resource can still come in handy in a pinch.
- Social Media: Unsurprisingly, social media is another great tool. Not only can you ask friends and acquaintances in your network, you can also search relevant keywords for ads or brands to see if anyone else on Twitter or Facebook is talking about the ad and the actor who stars in it. Additionally, many actors promote their work with social media, which means you might just stumble upon their profile, especially if they’re well-known for playing a commercial character.
Some of the Most Commonly Searched TV Commercial Actors
While some brands rely on animated geckos or cheese-loving cheetahs, others put stock in actors’ charms. Without a doubt, there are some actors who’ve become instantly recognizable as a result of appearing in a long-running TV ad campaign.
Here are some of the most commonly searched TV actors:
- Paul Marcarelli: You’ll likely recognize this glasses-wearing actor from Verizon Wireless’ 13-year TV advertising campaign “Can You Hear Me Now?” In 2016, Marcarelli shocked the industry when he jumped to competitor Sprint, becoming the longtime star of their commercials.
- Stephanie Courtney: This actor plays the infamous Flo in Progressive Insurance commercials. Courtney first appeared as the character in early 2008, and, in the decade since, revenues for the insurance giant grew from $13 billion in 2008 to a whopping $36 billion in 2019.
- Jonathan Goldsmith: This actor was the face of “The Most Interesting Man in the World” campaign for Dos Equis from 2007 to 2015. He was replaced in 2016 by a French actor, and in 2018, Dos Equis shut down that particular campaign altogether. Interesting…