Are Morning Glories Poisonous?

Morning glories are poisonous to humans, according to HGTV, and to cats and dogs, according to the ASPCA. The sap contains Indole alkaloids, which are toxic to pets and can make humans very sick.

Morning glories, or Ipomaea violacea, have alkaloids that contain chanoclavine, lysergamide, elymoclavine and lysergic acid. This potentially causes tremors, agitation, stomach upset, anorexia and ataxia in pets. In humans, there can be hallucinations from the lysergic acid, migraines, dizziness, visual auras and even death. Immediate medical attention should be sought if morning glory poisoning is suspected, and pets should be taken to the nearest veterinarian for treatment.