How Long Does It Take for Exposure to Black Mold to Negatively Effect a Person's Health?
Black mold often negatively effects a person's health, but the length of time required for exposure differs greatly from person to person. Many individuals do not suffer any discernible issues from exposure, while others are easily affected. Some of the most important factors to consider are whether or not allergies are involved, if a person has other underlying health concerns and how much mold is visible in a domicile.
The technical term for black mold is Stachybotrys. It is a genus of asexually-reproducing fungi that often appears after fungal growth damage in buildings that are damp or water-damaged.
Most individuals suffer from no discernible ailments as a result to ordinary exposure to small amount of household mold as is found in many bathrooms, but the mycotoxins present in the mold may have a wide range of effects in large concentrations.
Most symptoms appear after lengthy exposure rather than simply showering in a bathroom with a small amount of visible mold present. Symptoms typically include sneezing, coughing and eye irritation, while in rare cases an allergic reaction may occur resulting in vomiting.
Black mold rose to notoriety in the United States after it was initially blamed on the deaths of two children in Ohio, but a subsequent investigation failed to find a link between mold and severe illness.
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a Federal Agency studied the effects of black mold and found that normal household exposure was sufficient to cause distress to healthy children in rare cases, but simple precautions such as cleaning the bathroom thoroughly, using a dehumidifier, and having adequate ventilation were enough to protect all but the sickest of children.