What Kind of Doctor Treats Carpal Tunnel?

Carpal tunnel syndrome, depending on the cause of symptoms, can be treated by an orthopedic surgeon, a neurologist, a rheumatologist or other primary care physician specializing in hand, wrist and arm issues. Due to the fact that carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by a number of factors, it is best to start with a primary care physician when the symptoms of carpal tunnel are first experienced. Once the underlying cause has been determined, then more precise care can be sought by going to a specialist.

The carpal tunnel is the passageway of ligaments and bones at the base of the wrist. This is also where the nerves and tendons connected to the wrist and hand are located. When pressure is placed on this passageway, the median nerve can become crushed, causing pain or weakness in the hand, wrist and arm. Tingling, burning, numbness and other nerve-type pain in the hand, wrist and arm are the first symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

If the symptoms persist, and no action is taken to rectify the issue, the sufferer could experience difficulty gripping objects with their thumb and fingers. When visiting a primary care physician about pain in the hand, wrist and arm, certain tests can be performed to determine the cause and confirm or rule out carpal tunnel syndrome. There are both surgical and non-surgical treatment options available for carpal tunnel syndrome.