What Kind of Doctor Do I Need to See for Tendinitis in the Hips?

Jeannot Olivet/E+/Getty Images

According to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, a primary care physician can treat the common causes of tendinitis — the medical term for inflammation of a tendon. Complex cases require referral to a specialist, such as an orthopedist or rheumatologist.

The American College of Rheumatology states that most cases of hip tendinitis can be treated with a combination of rest, ice and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen. Topical NSAIDs that are applied directly to the skin or a cortisone injection may also be prescribed. Using a cane to avoid placing too much weight on the painful hip may help the tendon to heal, and physical therapy can be beneficial to maintain normal movement in the hip. If the pain persists or severely limits movement, surgery is an option for some patients.