How Do You Get Housing While on SSI Disability?

Individuals on Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, can apply for voucher housing through their public housing authority, which is overseen by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, says Disability Secrets from Nolo. HUD has a designated housing program especially for disabled persons.

The Social Security Administration does not offer any housing assistance for anyone who receives SSI or SSD benefits, even though many people can become homeless while waiting for their SSI claim to be processed. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s housing voucher program has a list that involves a long wait and is typically limited to families who have children, according to Disability Secrets. The local public housing authority sets local preferences for who gets priority for housing vouchers, and many local authorities make it a priority to provide housing for individuals with disabilities. HUD also has “designated housing” and “certain developments” voucher programs, both of which are for people with disabilities. Individuals interested in these programs can apply through their local public housing authority.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development also administers programs designed to provide long-term housing to individuals with disabilities who do not have a home. Anyone interested in those types of programs should contact the Social Security Administration for more information, says Disability Secrets.