What Is a Hernia Doctor Called?

A hernia doctor is called a general surgeon or a urologist depending on the type of hernia. Although general surgeons repair most types of hernias, urologists repair femoral and inguinal hernias.

A hernia occurs when a weak area in a muscle allows tissue or a portion of an organ to bulge out of position. Primary care physicians, such as pediatricians, internists and family practice doctors, usually diagnose hernias and refer patients to a general surgeon or urologist for the repair depending on the location and severity of the hernia. The surgeon repairs the hernia by either suturing the edges of the muscle together or patching the weak area with mesh.