What Happens If You Drink Windex?
MedlinePlus states that drinking large amounts of Windex leads to window cleaner poisoning. A few of the common symptoms experienced after ingesting Windex or any glass cleaner include throat swelling, difficulty breathing, and abdominal pain. In the event someone should drink the cleaner, it is best that the local poison control be contacted immediately as well as emergency services.
According to MedlinePlus, older window cleaners are considered more dangerous than newer window cleaners because older formulas sometimes contain ammonia, ethanol, methanol and isopropyl alcohol. If a person swallows window cleaner, calling poison control or the local emergency number is recommended. It is important to determine the patient's condition, the name of the product swallowed and amount of the swallowed product and the time it was swallowed. If the patient is able to swallow, it is advisable to immediately give him a glass of water or milk. The patient must not be forced to vomit unless directed to do so by a health care professional.
While at the hospital, health care providers treat symptoms and monitor the patient closely. MedlinePlus indicates that medical tests and procedures may be performed. The chance of recovery depends on the amount of Windex swallowed and the promptness of medical attention.