Are There Any Dallas Cowboys Retired Numbers?
As of 2014, the National Football League's Dallas Cowboys have not retired the uniform number of any of their former players. Unlike many teams in professional sports, the Cowboys do not retire star players uniform numbers. Instead, the team inducts its star players, including Professional Football Hall of Fame members, into its Ring of Honor.
There are 20 former Dallas Cowboys players who are enshrined in the team's Ring of Honor, which was originally placed above the football field at the team's former home, Texas Stadium, in Irving, Texas. When the team relocated to AT&T Stadium in 2009, the Ring of Honor went with them and is located on the concrete facing at the stadium's club level.
The current members of the Cowboys' Ring of Honor include:
- Quarterbacks Don Meredith, Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman
- Running backs Don Perkins, Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith
- Wide receivers Bob Hayes, Michael Irvin and Drew Pearson
- Offensive linemen Rayfield Wright and Larry Allen
- Defensive lineman Bob Lilly, Randy White and Charles Haley
- Linebackers Chuck Howley and Lee Roy Jordan
- Defensive backs Mel Renfro and Cliff Harris
- Head coach, Tom Landry
- General manager, Tex Schramm
Of those players, Lilly, Renfro, Staubach, Landry, Dorsett, White, Hayes, Schramm, Wright, Aikman, Irvin, Smith and Allen are also enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.