Q:

Which countries have a mixed economic system?

A:

Quick Answer

Countries with a mixed economy include Iceland, Sweden, France, the United Kingdom, the United States, Russia and China. These countries have a mix of government spending and free-market systems based on the share of government spending as a percentage of gross domestic product. Some governments spend much more money in proportion to GDP, while others spend much less.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Iceland's government spending is 57 percent of the country's GDP. That means the other 43 percent is private industry. Sweden's government spending is 52 percent of its GDP. The United Kingdom features 47.3 percent government funding, and the United States is 38.9 percent, as of 2014. Most countries feature mixed economies, which makes it easier to trade and do business on a global scale.

Government programs in mixed economies vary. Welfare, pensions, defense, Social Security and health care are some areas in which governments spend large sums to support their populations. In general, countries with more developed economies have greater government spending as a share of GDP.

Advantages of a mixed economy include more efficient private industries, reduced government regulation, better stabilization when free-market principles fail, greater equality to prevent absolute poverty and government programs to promote stabilization. Disadvantages of a mixed economy are too much regulation that stifles free enterprise, too much government borrowing during crises and inefficient allocation of resources.

Learn more about Economics

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some names of countries in the G20?

    A:

    Countries in the G20 are: Argentina, the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Brazil, China, France, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, the Republic of Korea, South Africa, Turkey and Saudi Arabia. In addition to these 19 nations, the G20 contains the European Union, which breaks down into the European Commission and the European Central Bank. These members represent the 20 largest international economies; each year, representatives and bank officials from these nations and organizations convene for an annual meeting.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What 10 nations currently have the largest economies?

    A:

    The 10 countries with the highest nominal gross domestic product as of 2015 are (ranked first to 10th) the United States, China, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom, France, Brazil, Italy, India and Russia. There are no definitive numbers on what countries are spending, so organizations work with estimates to compose lists such as this.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What Countries Have a Mixed Economy?

    A:

    Countries with mixed economies include Iceland, Sweden, France, the U.S, the U.K, Cuba, Russia and China. Most industrial countries have mixed economies, but vary in the degree of government involvement. For example, in Western Europe the government generally has a stronger role, while in North America the market is more influential. The only major planned economy is North Korea.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What are the names of some developed countries?

    A:

    The United States, Canada, Australia, Germany, France, Japan and South Korea are a few of the developed countries in the world. A country is classified as developed when it is a sovereign state with a strong economy and a technologically advanced infrastructure.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore