What Are the Components of a Computer Network?
The five components of a computer network are the client, server, media, network interface card and protocols; these components work together to permit two or more computers to share information. The computers must be connected in some way to create the network.
A computer network includes the following components:
- The client is any computer located on the network aside from the server.
- The server is a computer on the network that controls how the other computers function and manages what tasks they perform.
- Media is the method by which the computers are connected, such as cables, wires or wireless methods.
- A network interface card is a circuit board that monitors the transmission of data.
- The protocols are the rules that govern how data is exchanged between computers.