How Can I Transfer to Another High School?

To transfer a child to another high school, a parent or legal guardian must fill out the appropriate paperwork with both schools and provide the new school with proof of residency and existing transcripts. Transfer procedures vary state to state, so it is best to call and discuss transfer plans with both schools before beginning the process.

If a student wants to transfer schools, she must first get parental consent. Then, the parent must discuss transferring with both the current and intended schools. As a student progresses in her high school career, it becomes more difficult to transfer schools unless the student has a valid reason, such as being a victim of bullying or moving out of the school’s jurisdiction. The student must also fill out any general enrollment forms, provide proof of residency and transcripts, and be prepared to produce a police report or medical history if requested.

According to Inside Schools, transfers after a student’s sophomore year are generally only granted due to medical issues, personal safety reasons or travel hardships. There are alternative schools that deal with students who have not done well in traditional high school programs, and they can be more academically rigorous than normal high school curriculum. College Sports Scholarships states that a high school athlete is prohibited from transferring schools to accept incentives from coaches, although transferring to play on a specific team is frowned upon but not prohibited.