Can a Child Choose to Live With His or Her Grandparents?

By Staff WriterLast Updated Apr 5, 2020 5:07:26 PM ET

A minor, unless already emancipated, is not legally empowered to make the decision for herself. Although it is possible for grandparents to gain custody of a grandchild under certain circumstances, the grandparents or another interested adult must initiate the petition for custody.