Photo Editing and Graphics: Advantages and Disadvantages of Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is often hailed as the height of professional photo editing software. Like with anything, however, there are both good and bad aspects to this advanced program.
Years ago, Adobe Photoshop was one of the only advanced photo editing softwares available. Today, there are a number of alternatives that can do the same kind of editing as Photoshop. How can you decide whether or not Adobe Photoshop is right for your needs? There are a variety of advantages and disadvantages of Adobe Photoshop. Explore them here to determine whether or not it’s the right program for you.
Advantages of Adobe Photoshop
- Easily Make Small Edits: The advantages of Adobe Photoshop are fairly easy to identify, and there are quite a few of them. One of the biggest advantages is the fact that a person can easily make small edits on photos that would otherwise be difficult. Changing skin tone, creating a high resolution copy of the photo, adjusting brightness or removing a blurry area can be done in just a few clicks when using Adobe Photoshop. Removing errors in a photo, changing the background or removing a background entirely are all tasks that can be performed with ease when using Photoshop.
- Strengthen Your Skills: Additional advantages of using Photoshop include the fact that those who use it can utilize it to expand and strengthen his or her editing skills. This is a great program to use for anyone who is looking to teach themselves how to do advanced editing. Adobe also offers tutorials and guides for people wanting to further expand his or her skill set.
- Professionalism: Photoshop is often used to take substandard photos to a professional level, which is one of the main advantages of the software.
Disadvantages of Adobe Photoshop
- Not Great for Beginners: While Adobe Photoshop can be a good learning resource, the program isn’t well suited for beginners. Very basic functions within the program are usually the extent of what an absolute beginner can figure out on his or her own.
- High Price Tag: When looking at the advantages and disadvantages of Adobe Photoshop, the price is a major factor. The software is proprietary software that’s extremely expensive. Someone doing minor photo editing could likely find the functions he or she needs in a cheaper and more basic program.
- Full Functionality may be out of Reach: Unless a person is well-versed in photo editing or using this type of software, he or she will likely not even know how to find the more advanced functions available, let alone use them. This poses a problem when the price of Photoshop is taken into consideration.
When it comes right down to it, Adobe Photoshop has a lot more disadvantages for those who are beginners or who only want to do very basic photo editing. Those who are advanced in photo editing and are familiar with using this type of advanced software will benefit much more from Adobe Photoshop and are more likely to find the expensive price tag worth it.