How Do You Address a Sympathy Card to a Widow?

A sympathy card to a widow should be addressed to "Mrs. Robert Smith," substituting Robert Smith with her deceased husband's name, according to the Emily Post Institute on etiquette. While the traditional etiquette for correspondence mandates the use of the husband's first and last name following the prefix, more modern publications suggest that it is up to the sole preference of the widow.