What Is a 2-Year Degree Called?

Andrew Rich/E+/Getty Images

A 2-year degree is called an associate degree and can be an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree. This differs from a bachelor degree, which requires 4 years of courses. Students can receive associate degrees from community, technical and junior colleges.

Associate degree programs typically require students to take a select number of general, major and elective courses. Students can major in a variety of subjects, such as English, science, accounting and mathematics. The number of credits needed will depend on the community college. For example, City College of San Francisco requires a minimum of 60 credits to receive an associate degree.