Is Silly Putty harmful to dogs?


Quick Answer

Silly Putty can be harmful to dogs in some cases. Although it is non-toxic, it can obstruct the digestive tract, which requires medical attention, notes experts at PetPlace.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Silly Putty and other Crayola art supplies are designed to be non-toxic to humans and animals. Crayola tests the product for toxicology, according to Crayola's official website. Although it is non-toxic, Silly Putty may cause diarrhea or vomiting in dogs, but does not have any effects related to toxicity. However, because it can get stick in the stomach or intestines, owners should always call a vet if their dog ingests Silly Putty.

Play-Doh, modeling clay, chalk, Elmer's glue and markers are also non-toxic to dogs. However, modeling craft supplies and caps on markers and paints can also get stuck in the stomach or digestive tract.

If Silly Putty gets stuck in dog hair, there is no need to fret. It is not toxic if the dog licks it and it can be removed. To get Silly Putty out of hair, pull as much of it out as possible. Try to hold the fur in place so that less fur comes out with the putty. If any putty remains, work some non-toxic oil into the fur. This helps work the fur away from the putty.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions