What should I do if my dog eats a frog?


Quick Answer

According to PetMD, toxic reaction to the venom from frogs and toads is a common ailment in dogs that can be lethal if it is not treated immediately. It is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately to limit the amount of toxins absorbed into the dog's system. The veterinarian flushes the dog's mouth and closely monitors heart rate, temperature and other vital functions.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

The likelihood of lethal toxic poisoning partially depends on the geographical location and the type of amphibian the dog has eaten. Frogs and toads are often confused for each other, and certain species of toads are extremely poisonous. According to the College of Veterinary Medicine at University of Illinois, toads generally excrete higher levels of toxins than frogs. The bufo toad is common throughout Texas, Florida and Hawaii, while Colorado residents should be wary of giant and Colorado River toads.

Symptoms of severe poisoning include foaming at the mouth, vomiting, convulsions, and irregular heartbeat, according to the College of Veterinary Medicine at University of Illinois. In addition to flushing the mouth and keeping an eye on vital signs, veterinary care can include attempts to limit saliva production and anesthetic treatment to reduce pain, according to PetMD. Fatality is likely if the dog is not treated properly, but the dog can survive with immediate care.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions