Q:

What should I do if my dog ate a bar of soap?

A:

Quick Answer

According to the Animal Hospital of East Davie, soap, detergent and other soap products are generally non-toxic to dogs; however, it is important to contact a veterinarian in the event of soap ingestion to ensure proper treatment. Common toxicity symptoms include lethargy and vomiting and can occur if a dog ingests a large quantity of soap.

Continue Reading
What should I do if my dog ate a bar of soap?
Credit: Digital Vision. Photodisc Getty Images

Full Answer

The ASPCA explains that consumption of an entire bar of soap can cause intestinal blockages in dogs and advises dog owners to take steps to ensure soap is not accessible to their dogs. Soaps that contain glycerin can cause loose stools and diarrhea in dogs, which can lead to dehydration if persistent.

According to PetMD, certain soaps and detergents contain acids that are toxic to dogs. PetMD advises dog owners to contact a veterinarian as soon as possible in the event of soap ingestion as gastric lavage, also referred to as stomach pumping, or the administration of charcoal may be required. Symptoms of poisoning include drooling, nausea, weakness, sedation, tremors, agitation and twitching. PetMD does not recommend inducing vomiting in dogs with home remedies after soap ingestion, as neutralizing the chemicals in the soap can cause a chemical reaction that leads to further complications.

Learn more about Dogs

Related Questions

Explore