Q:

What is poisonous to squirrels?

A:

Quick Answer

There are many chemicals that are poisonous to squirrels, including arsenic, crimidine, barium and phosphorus. Sometimes, the use of poisonous chemicals to eliminate squirrels is useless because they move around often and getting them to eat the poisoned substance is difficult.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Poisoning squirrels is not recommended because it is a very cruel method of killing them, as they undergo a painful death. However, the following are other poisonous chemicals.

  • Rat poison – It is not a guarantee that rat poison will kill squirrels because they rarely eat substances poisoned with rat poison when they find them. However, when they eat rat-poisoned substances and die, their dead bodies remain in the house and release an unpleasant odor as the body decays.
  • Strychnine – This substance is very dangerous, and it is used to eliminate pests. It is absorbed in the stomach very fast and clinical signs, such as severe seizures, anxiety and drooling, can be seen within 2 hours.
  • Anticoagulants – The effects of this poisonous substance takes approximately 2 to 3 days to develop after the squirrel has taken the poison, so it have adequate time to leave the house and die elsewhere. The squirrel normally collapses in hypovolemic circulatory shock or severe anemia and it dies.

Learn more about Rodents
Sources:

Related Questions

Explore