Q:

Are pine cones toxic to dogs?

A:

Quick Answer

Pine cones are not toxic to dogs, according to The Daily Puppy, but it is not a good idea to allow dogs to chew on them or eat them. Pine sap and pine needles are toxic to dogs, both of which may be present on pine cones.

Continue Reading
Are pine cones toxic to dogs?
Credit: Rob Jamieson Flickr CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

Garden Guides advises that the sap and needles of the Australian pine contain an unknown substance that causes vomiting and depression when dogs and cats ingest it. The Daily Puppy explains that dogs who swallow pine cones risk intestinal perforations from the sharp points on the pine cones. Since pine cones are hard and not easily digested, ingestion can cause intestinal blockages.

Learn more about Veterinary Health

Related Questions

  • Q:

    How does a pine cone form?

    A:

    Pine cones form by cross-pollination between two trees. Seed cones and pollen cones are the two types of cones that grown on the same pine tree.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is pine cone home decor?

    A:

    Pine cone home decor is the use of pine cones to decorate the interior or exterior of the home. Pine cones can be a fun and creative way to give your home a rustic and natural feel.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is it common practice to declaw dogs?

    A:

    Declawing a dog is not a common practice, according to The Daily Puppy, and not all breeds can be declawed. Some breeders choose to remove a puppy's dewclaws shortly after birth, and some owners choose to have the dewclaws removed when the dog is older.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Can dogs get eczema?

    A:

    The Daily Puppy states that dogs get a canine eczema also called pyotraumatic dermatitis, acute moist dermatitis, wet eczema and hot spot. Canine eczema occurs when a skin irritation makes a dog lick and bite the area, causing a lesion.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore