The orb-weaver spider is not poisonous; rather, it is toxic, but its venom is not powerful enough to cause harm to humans. When the spider bites, the venom delivered through its fangs causes a localized swelling and redness that typically disappears from the skin in approximately one day.
Orb weavers are a non-aggressive group of spiders that rarely bite humans. However, these spiders sometimes induce deadly heart attacks in people by crawling across a sleeper's face at night and startling them. This scenario is particularly dangerous for people at risk of having a heart attack due to age or a pre-existing heart condition.