Flying ants are typically carpenter ants, which can bite. Their jaws are strong, and they inject formic acid into the puncture, which causes a burning feeling around the wound area. A carpenter ant bite causes a pea-sized red mark that can take up to eight days to go away.
Carpenter ant bites are uncomfortable, but the ants are not venomous. The ants do not prey on humans, but they may bite if their nests are disturbed. Bites should be washed with soap and water, and an antibiotic cream should be applied to an open bite mark. The bites often itch for several days.