What Do I Do If My Dog Swallows a Rawhide Bone?

Charles Mann/E+/Getty Images

After a dog swallows a rawhide bone, the dog should be closely monitored for signs of choking or intestinal blockage. If these symptoms appear, the dog needs to be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

Rawhide bones are designed to be eaten, so the material itself is not dangerous to dogs unless it is contaminated. According to WebMD, large pieces of rawhide can get stuck in the throat or intestines, causing a blockage. Symptoms of intestinal blockage include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, pain and gagging or frequent swallowing. To help prevent dogs from swallowing a rawhide bone, the owner can take the bone away when it gets small enough to be swallowed whole. It is also important to give the dog a safe spot to chew the bone away from other dogs.