Q:

Are coleus plants poisonous to cats?

A:

Quick Answer

Some coleus plants are toxic to cats, as well as dogs and horses. The plants contain an essential oil that can cause moderate to severe digestive problems when consumed.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Cats who eat toxic coleus plants can experience diarrhea and vomiting. In severe poisoning, the vomit and diarrhea may contain blood. The cat may also lose his appetite and become depressed or lethargic. The many varieties of coleus are divided into two genera. Chemical properties vary between species, so the amount needed to poison a cat may change significantly according to which plant he ate. Any cat that has eaten leaves or stems from a coleus plant should receive a veterinary evaluation, even if he has no immediate symptoms.

Learn more about Cats

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are rosary pea plants poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Rosary pea plants are poisonous to cats. Toxins are released when the seeds of this plant are chewed and swallowed. The seeds contain several toxic compounds, including the toxalbumin called abrin, which is a ribosome inhibiting protein and one of the most toxic compounds known.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are spider plants poisonous to cats?

    A:

    Spider plants are not poisonous to cats, although sensitivity to the plant may cause an allergic reaction, such as skin irritations, according to the University of Connecticut's home and garden extension website. There are, however, many common household flowers and plants that are poisonous.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are hibiscus plants poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the hibiscus plant is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. When consumed, the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even nausea.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is eucalyptus poisonous to dogs?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA, eucalyptus is toxic to dogs as well as to cats and horses. The dangerous component is the oil of the plant. Dogs that ingest toxic amounts of eucalyptus exhibit symptoms that include salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression and weakness.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore