Is Borax Toxic to Dogs?

Carissa Rogers/CC-BY-2.0

Borax is toxic to dogs and should not be used around them. Borax is often used in pesticides and to get rid of fleas. However, it is harmful if ingested and can also cause skin irritation if touched.

If a dog ingests borax, symptoms including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and drooling can occur. Other symptoms of borax ingestion include excessive thirst and stomach pain. Dogs that come into contact with borax may experience symptoms such as redness and itching. Inhalation of borax may lead to breathing issues, such as shortness of breath. Dogs that come in contact with borax should be taken to the veterinarian immediately.