Hydrogen peroxide is widely used as a DIY treatment to kill mold. It's a strong oxidizer and is listed as a popular mold treatment by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It's not known which, if any, species of mold are resistant to hydrogen peroxide.Continue Reading
Hydrogen peroxide's disinfecting properties come from its reactivity. The chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. The two oxygen atoms readily bond with and split other molecules. For biological entities such as mold, this means their surface layers are attacked, which leads to more oxygen attacking the inside of the organism and eventual death.
Humans can experience similar effects if concentrations of hydrogen peroxide are high enough. Even solutions of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide are corrosive to humans. Most household solutions of hydrogen peroxide are very dilute, yet they're still effective at killing fungus and bacteria. Molds are a variety of fungus, and general antifungal treatments should also be effective against them.Learn more about Cleaning Products
Hydrogen peroxide can act as a stain remover, a disinfectant or a whitener, according to Natural Living Ideas. However, exercise caution when using the solution, especially in high concentration. The liquid can cause burns when it comes in contact with the skin. Additionally, don’t drink the solution as it can cause serious side effects.Full Answer >
As of July 2015, good hydrogen peroxide cleaners are Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Power & Free Multi-Purpose Cleaner With Hydrogen Peroxide. Each earns more than 4.5 stars on five-star online rating systems.Full Answer >
To remove mold with bleach, clean up the area, remove all of the mold and wash the affected area or object with bleach, detergent and water. Scrub the area until all of the mold is gone.Full Answer >
Wet & Forget Outdoor eliminates mold, mildew, lichen, algae and moss on any outdoor surface. It is also safe for use around plants. Using the product requires no scrubbing, rinsing or power washing, and it solves the problem at the root, not just the surface.Full Answer >