The dangers of breathing sewer gas are hydrogen sulfide poisoning and asphyxiation, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Inhaling very high levels of hydrogen sulfide can lead to immediate loss of consciousness and death.Continue Reading
Sewer gas consists of varying levels of toxic and non-toxic gases depending on the source, says the Wisconsin DHS. It results from the decomposition of household and industrial waste, and it smells like rotten eggs. Hydrogen sulfide and ammonia are highly toxic components of this gas. Exposure to small levels of hydrogen sulfide irritates the eyes and respiratory tract. It also causes headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea and nervousness. Exposure to high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide sometimes causes people to experience a loss of sense of smell. Sewer gas is fatal at extremely high levels. It contains methane, which decreases the amount of oxygen in the air and leads to suffocation. When oxygen deficiency occurs, a person is likely to experience headache, dizziness, nausea and unconsciousness. Death can occur immediately when a person is exposed to very low oxygen concentrations.
The Wisconsin DHS states that floor and sink drains must be flushed with water to prevent pipe traps to the sewer from drying. The roof plumbing vent should also be checked regularly for blockage from debris, such as bird nests or leaves.Learn more about Conditions & Diseases
Drugs.com states that cyanide poisoning can present symptoms such as headaches, confusion, dizziness, anxiety, nausea and vomiting as well as restlessness, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, loss of consciousness and seizures. The severity of symptoms is dependent on the amount of cyanide ingested. Cyanide poisoning occurs when a person inhales, ingests or touches cyanide, a poisonous chemical that prevents oxygen absorption in the body.Full Answer >
People who suffer respiratory symptoms due to exposure to hydrogen sulfide or sewer gas are treated with supplemental oxygen, aerosolized bronchodilators or nitrite therapy, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If they have trouble breathing, children may require bronchodilator treatment with a racemic epinephrine aerosol. The gas is not cancerous and does not accumulate in the body with prolonged exposure, notes the CDC. Treatment for symptoms of exposure aims to support compromised respiratory and cardiovascular functions.Full Answer >
Symptoms of natural gas poisoning include nausea, fatigue, dizziness, irregular breathing and headache, according to the National Institutes of Health. People can become unconscious or die after high-level natural gas exposure. Breathing the toxins depletes the brain's oxygen, and sickness develops rapidly, explains the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.Full Answer >
Natural gas poisoning can cause unconsciousness or death, but the levels of gas must be very high, according to Tox Town. Exposure to small amounts of natural gas is not harmful, but symptoms of exposure to nonlethal levels of natural gas include headache, dizziness, tiredness and irregular breathing.Full Answer >