How Do You Get Record of Employment Forms?

Individuals can view electronic Record of Employment forms by signing onto their My Service Canada account. Employers can distribute electronic forms by using the Record of Employment on the Web or Record of Employment Secure Automated Transfer services noted on the Service Canada website.

Employers can also order paper Record of Employment forms by phone by following the “Employer Contact Centre” link on the “Paper Record of Employment forms” page and dialing the toll-free number, according to Service Canada. Non-Canadian employers operating businesses in Canada must be prepared to provide their 15-character payroll account number issued by the Canada Revenue Agency as well as the name, address and telephone number of their business.

The Service Canada website offers instruction for how to complete paper forms. Employers must give the original to their employee as proof of earnings for claiming benefits. They must then send the blue copy to Service Canada and keep the white copy in their files for reference for at least six years. The Service Canada website recommends that employers consider submitting electronic Record of Employment forms as a more efficient and user-friendly option.

Record of Employment forms provide information on employment history, notes Service Canada. Service Canada evaluates each form to determine individual eligibility for employment insurance benefits and ensure accountability for any misused benefits or benefits received in error. Service Canada keeps these forms on file for 11 years.