What Is the Difference Between an EIN and an UBI Number?

An employer identification number is issued to a business entity by the federal government as a tax identification number. A unified business identifier is issued by Washington state to identify a business entity.

An employer identification number can be obtained from the IRS by a business entity operating in the United States. Most businesses are required to have the number, and certain trusts and estates must also have it.

Only businesses in Washington state are required to have a unified business identifier. Businesses can request an identifier from the State of Washington Business Licensing Service. This number is used by many Washington state agencies, including the Department of Revenue, the Employment Security Department and the Secretary of State.