What Is a Bone and Joint Doctor Called?

Jan-Otto/E+/Getty Images

A doctor who addresses disorders of the bones and joints is called an orthopedist. An orthopedist corrects deformities or impairments of function in the skeletal system.

The areas of concern include the extremities and the spine. Muscles and ligaments are also included in this expertise area.

Specialties within the field of orthopedics also exist. There are the orthopedists that deal with hand, spine, joint, foot and ankle problems, and orthopedists that are dedicated to healing athletes’ injuries sustained by playing sports. The goal in sports injury treatment is to get the athlete back into competition as quickly and safely as possible.