What Are Words That Start With the Letter X?
Some words that start with X are xenon, x-ray, xylophone and xenia. The letter X is the third least-common letter in the English alphabet. It is used more frequently than the letters Z and Q, but still only has a frequency of approximately 0.15 percent.
Since the letter X is not used very often in the English language, it can be difficult finding an X word while playing games like Scrabble or crossword puzzles. Here are some of the more uncommon X words and their definitions:
- Xanthareel: an eel, yellow in color, used in medicinal foods
- Xesturgy: the process of polishing
- Xerophagy: the eating of dried food; also, the fasting of dry food during the week before Easter
- Xoanon: a statue made of wood, primitive in nature, that is covered in gold and ivory
- Xylomancy: a type of divination that uses wood found in one's path
Most of these words are not commonly used in basic English language. In fact, there are the fewest words beginning with the letter X than any other letter in the alphabet. Many of the more common X words are trademarks such as Xerox or abbreviations such as "Xmas" for Christmas, "xmit" for transmit and "XL" for extra large.