Is Rimadyl Safe for Human Use?

Rimadyl is not safe for humans although it was once approved for human use from 1988 to 1998, as noted by The People’s Pharmacy. The United States National Library of Medicine classifies the drug itself as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Rimadyl is given to animals, primarily dogs, in the form of a chewable tablet.

Rimadyl is most often prescribed by veterinarians for pets with osteoarthritis pain and inflammation. It can be compared to aspirin given to humans, and it can be prescribed to pets temporarily or for long-term treatment.

The medication can be lethal to dogs if the dogs overdose on the medication. An overdose can happen because many dogs love the liver flavored taste and feel as though they are eating treats. If an owner leaves the bottle in reach of the dog, it may find a way to open the bottle and eat the rest of the medication.

The toxicity in Rimadyl is strong, and dogs that take their recommended dose can still overdose if the recommended dose is too much for their system. Dogs that either overdose or who are dependent on the medicine should be brought to their veterinarian as soon as possible. The signs of Rimadyl toxicity are: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, kidney problems, increased thirst or urination, lack of an appetite, jaundiced skin or gums and lethargy.