Q:

What do people wear in Djibouti?

A:

Quick Answer

Djibouti people come from a variety of backgrounds due to the history of the country; therefore, their attire ranges from Western style clothing to desert nomadic flowing cloths and sandals. Clothing choice also pertains to the background and sex of the Djibouti person.

Continue Reading

Full Answer

Because of the location, Western style clothing such as t-shirts and jeans is commonly worn. In addition, men also wear macawiss, which is a long garment wrapped around the waist very much like a sarong. The Djibouti women are draped with a dirac; a long, airy, light dress made of cotton or polyester over a full slip and bra. Married Djibouti women wear head scares, called a "shash," with a shawl covering their heads and around their faces. Unmarried Djibouti women wear the same garments underneath their dresses, but have the option of covering or not covering their heads. However, on special occasions, they may wear jewelry and head-dresses. Nomadic Djibouti people are wrapped in a long white cotton robe, called a "tobe," that goes to the knees with the end of the garment thrown over a shoulder.

Djibouti people are 95 percent of Arabic decent including a long history of Nomadic people. The remaining 5 percent are of European background, primarily French as France created Djibouti in the late 19th century until it became independent in 1977. Located in northeast Africa on the Red Sea, the weather is hot and arid.

Learn more about Cultures & Traditions

Related Questions

Explore