How Long Does Vistaril Stay in Someone’s System?
The effects of Vistaril last for 4 to 6 hours, and begin within 30 to 60 minutes of taking the medication, according to MedicineNet. It is important to be aware of the side effects while taking this drug. People who take it may need to alter their intake according to the condition they are treating and their doctor’s instructions.
The dosage of Vistaril, which is the brand-name version of hydroxyzine, which should be taken varies depending on its uses.
- 25 milligrams three to four times a day for itching
- 50 to 100 milligrams orally three to four times a day for sedation
- 25 to 100 milligrams via intramuscular injection three to four times a day for sedation
- 50 to 100 milligrams in four divided oral doses for anxiety
- 50 to 100 milligrams a day in four to six divided intramuscular injections for anxiety
- 25 to 100 milligrams a day for nausea and vomiting via intramuscular injection
- 50 to 100 mg via injection for alcohol withdrawal, with further doses as needed
As people who take Vistaril may experience drowsiness, they should avoid operating heavy machinery until the medication leaves their system. Combining Vistaril with alcohol can prolong this drowsiness, so patients should avoid consuming alcohol while taking this medication.