Carbon monoxide will be completely eliminated from the body after 24 hours, as reported by the Daily Mail. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can cause harmful effects on the body as it reduces oxygen delivery to vital organs like the heart and brain. Exposure to carbon monoxide in high concentrations can even result in death.
Those people struggling with cardiac diseases are most vulnerable to the negative effects of carbon monoxide exposure as their body is already dealing with a lack of oxygen intake. Exposure to carbon monoxide may lead to myocardial ischemia and chest pains, especially in high-stress situations.