Are Hypericum Berries Poisonous?

Also known as St. John’s Wort, hypericum berries are mild to moderately poisonous. In livestock, this plant is poisonous and can cause skin irritation, panting, confusion, anorexia, depression and an abnormal increase in body temperature.

Hypericum is a flowering plant that is used as a medicinal herb. It is sold over-the-counter to treat mild to moderate depression. It is also being studied for use in treating somatoform disorders. It may also be used to treat alcohol addiction. This plant is sometimes grown commercially, but in most places it is considered an invasive weed. Once planted, hypericum can take over and dominate other plants, which makes it impossible to use the land.